Friday, July 3, 2009

TGIF in Camp Simcha

The end of a week is here again and we can hardly believe it. Friday was a packed day with two shows. Now campers are finishing up their projects in open workshops. I drifted from activity to activity, always stopping to get my hands dirty.

I particularly spent time at Roofy Roofy where I helped cut up chunks of freshly-made sheets of wax into chunks. I'll admit the lush pink and green chunks looked and smelled like dried fruit or candy and I had to resist popping them into my mouth for a treat. Kylie was also helping out and she says she's made over thirty candles already. After making the chunks, we peeled wax candles out of their molds. The flowers and geometric shapes and beautiful multi-color candles will keep sweet memories burning in our hearts for a long time.

At scrapbooking, many campers were busy working on their calendars. With all the colorful paper and accessories, I wanted to make one for myself. Maybe when I get home, I'll put out an unfinished scrapbook from under my bed.

It's getting late in the afternoon and camp is preparing for shabbos. We're putting our hair into our best headbands from the Ribbons and Bows workshop and dressing in our prettiest outfits. Soon we'll welcome shabbos in song and eat a special meal. The singing is a highlight of the evening, with campers and staff complementing each other in reciprocal songs. Many campers are given the chance to be the leader of the group, donning the special "singing shtreimel."

Tonight, after the meal, we'll have a special Shabbos party (oneg) and spend time engaging in "Deep Meaningful Conversation." Many campers also enjoy shabbos walks with their counselors or rotators or friends. There's something magical about walking between the shade of the trees enlightened by the moon and crisp summer breeze.

This is Leah, and I'm signing off, until tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!