Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beach Party

"Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints in the sand are gone."

From deep inside the blogosphere, somewhere in the middle of Glen Spey, Party City, New York, this is your host Leah reporting live on an important new development.

We're getting reports of Camp Simcha camped out at the beach. But this is no lazy day at the shore. It's a Beach Party. We're heading out on the ocean into new adventures on the high waves of Camp Simcha Lake. Decked out in leis, hula skirts, floaties and even towels, campers showed up for breakfast ready for the first full day of camp.

Simcha's aspiring filmmakers are getting their start right here at Simcha Studios. This morning after breakfast, Rivky announced the Each camper has one day to document her experience in camp on film. At the end of the session, she is handed her film to take home for her family.

Next, we headed into learning groups. The theme for learning groups this season is charity and good deeds. I sat in with Bunks 6 and 7 for their session in the movie room. Led by shiur counselor Esti, campers told us about the good deeds they have recently performed. Libby said "today this morning I gave two people soda." Jessica L.'s counselor told us that Jessica "always cares about everyone and texts them all the time." Evelyn woke up early this morning and didn't even wake up her counselor. She just waited in bed until her counselor got up by herself. Jessica O. brought water for other people who needed it. During lunch, campers had the opportunity to practice what they had learned in the morning and give tzedakah [charity].

Official Division Meetings followed Learning Groups. If you are not sure which division your camper is in, here's a handy list.
Rockers
Jesters
Party Animals Bunks 6,7, 8, 9 and 10
Crashers Bunks 21, 22, 23 and 24
Shenanigans 25, 26, 29 and 30
Batsheva's Party Animals went around the circle introducing themselves to the each other. Here are some interesting soundbites:
My name is Chani and I like fruits and vegetables and I'm from Argentina.
My name is Ahava and I'm from Toronto.
My name is Rena and I'm from the City of Angels.
My name is Alexis and one of my favorite things to do is knit scarves. I knit for my twin sister. We're identical. I'm from Allentown, PA. I love to draw.
I'm Liat and I'm from California.
My name is Leah Chaya and I'm from Israel.
My name is Stephanie and and I just graduated elementary school.

At the Beach, we're surfing USA. We would not have known that we were on the the volleyball court if not for the net on top of all that sand. There was a sand art painting and keychain making. We built a city out of sand in our sand castle building contest. After dancing through the sprinklers, we went on a seashell hunt.

Lunchtime at the beach and Camp Simcha is lounging around on beach chairs in the dining room. From their cabanas and grass huts, campers ordered smoothies and special mixed drinks. Chief Lifeguard Rivky Schwartz presided a contest in which five visiting beach bums (division heads) were in a hula hooping contest. But the catch was that the campers had to squirt water in their mouths at the same time.

Campers are going to pick out party favor: visors, Hallmark cards and hand sanitizer. [Sings: "Wash your hand, wash your hands, wash your hands with soap! Tra la la..."]

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!